Objective The objective of BELA is to promote environmental justice and contribute towards the development of a sound environmental jurisprudence. Vision & mission:
Our vision and mission include
- Ensuring environmental protection through due processes of law.
- Anthropocentric environmentalism that seeks conservation inclusive of the natural resource dependent poor.
- Community ownership and management of natural resources in a just, equitable and gender sensitive way.
- Upholding the rights of people, particularly the poor and the women, to their environmental entitlements.
BELA considers itself an organization that:
- believes in and follows a rights-based approach to not only the environment but development in general;
- believes in and upholds principles of equity; and
- strives to attain women’s rights and entitlements in environmental justice.
Strategies: BELA has chosen the following intervention strategies to achieve its objectives:
- Research and awareness raising campaigns
- Seek administrative relief, utilize legal measures and give legal assistance to protect eco-system and rights of people
- Mobilize and support community resistance
- Develop networks with local, national, regional and international groups/bodies/agencies
- Undertake legislative advocacy